- The procedure is a non-surgical, outpatient treatment, so no hospital stay is required. You will be more comfortable recovering in your own home. You will also save money since you will not be required to stay overnight in the hospital.
- During the procedure, you can be given a light sedative to help you relax. Unlike surgery, you will not have to undergo general anesthesia, which is a great relief to some patients.
- The interventional radiologist with USA Fibroid Centers will map the fibroids through ultrasound technology. This technology helps guide the procedure the entire time.
- A very small incision is made to insert the catheter into the uterine artery that supplies blood to the fibroid. The leg is numbed where the incision will be made, and the incision is so small that stitches are not required.
- Small particles will flow through the catheter and block the arteries and blood flow, causing the fibroid to shrink. The procedure only takes 30 to 45 minutes, and you leave with just a small bandage over the incision.
At USA Fibroids Centers, we consider UFE as the gold standard in minimally-invasive radiology for women with uterine fibroids. Call (855) 667-4247 to schedule a consultation with our leading interventional radiologists. Treatments at USA Fibroid Centers are covered by Medicare and most insurance plans, including Medicaid.