Fibroids are the most common tumors of the female reproductive tract that affect millions of women in their child bearing age. Although benign, fibroids may present many painful and challenging symptoms such as: Heavy and prolonged menstrual periods, frequent urination, pelvic pain and pressure or pain during sex. If left untreated the heavy menstrual flow can lead to anemia (iron deficiency) or many other serious complications. According to the National Institute of Health (NIH) 200, 000 hysterectomies are performed in the US due to fibroids.
At USA Fibroid Centers we offer a minimally invasive and non-surgical treatment for symptomatic fibroids: Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) during which fibroid tumors are reduced in size without surgery.
Some of the benefits of receiving a UFE procedure at USA Fibroid Centers are:
- Minimally invasive and non-surgical treatment: During a UFE procedure our interventional radiologists will shrink the size of your fibroids by blocking blood supply to the tumor. The treatment is performed as an outpatient procedure and takes 60-90 minutes. Approximately 80 out of 100 women treated with UFE for fibroids report their symptoms improved.
- Lighter and shorter menstrual bleeding: A majority of women report their period is shorter and lighter after a UFE procedure. Due to the overall improvement to the menstrual cycle, most women can enjoy the freedom and flexibility of not having to worry about or plan for the inconvenience of a heavy period.
- Pain relief: Due to the size or location of fibroids a majority of women experience agonizing pain, pelvic pressure or back pain. Menstrual cramps may be common for some individuals but for women with fibroids the pain may be caused by large clots pushing through the cervix. A wonderful benefit of UFE is that the pain associated with fibroids gradually improves after the procedure.
- Anemia: Heavy and prolonged menstrual bleeding caused by fibroids can lead to anemia (iron deficiency) leading to tiredness and fatigue. Anemia if left untreated can lead to many serious complications. After a UFE procedure a majority of women experience a lighter and shorter menstrual period which in turn improves the anemia as well.
- Improved Sex: Fibroid symptoms such as heavy bleeding, bleeding between periods, frequent urination and pelvic pain can be huge stumbling blocks in the way of a healthy sex life. After a UFE procedure the fibroid size is reduced , therefore the uterus can contract better leading to an improved quality of sex life.
- Body image: Most women suffering from uterine fibroids experience bloating and may have an enlarged abdomen depending on the size of the fibroid tumor/s. After a UFE procedure the fibroid tumor/s are reduced in size to where they are no longer outwardly visible improving a woman’s general self confidence and a positive self body image.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy and fibroids can be a challenge. Women suffering from fibroids have a hard time conceiving or maintain a pregnancy. One of the benefits of UFE is that while fibroids die due to the blocked blood supply, the uterus itself is not affected unlike hysterectomy. After a UFE procedure, women of child-bearing age can try to get pregnant when they are ready.
- Cost of Treatment: Many people avoid fibroid treatment because of fear of its high cost. However minimally invasive and non-surgical treatments at USA Fibroid Centers is covered by most insurance plans. We have a dedicated insurance department to help our patients with insurance related questions. Our leading interventional specialists at USA Fibroid Centers have treated thousands of women with symptomatic fibroids. If you are suffering from painful and prolonged menstrual periods don’t wait! Call (855) 667 4247 to schedule your initial consultation with USA Fibroid Centers.