Although many of us are experiencing difficulties in our lives due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there are also some positive changes beginning to emerge. For example, you may have reached out to seniors who are isolated and lonely, volunteered in your community by making face masks or distributing supplies, or offered to pick up groceries for those at higher risk for respiratory complications.
Another positive change involves the widespread expansion and implementation of telemedicine –– the remote delivery of healthcare services. You may already understand how frustrating the navigation of our healthcare system can be if you have ever:
- Spent long periods of time in a doctor’s waiting room
- Been unable to get an appointment with a specialist for weeks, or even months
- Made an unnecessary trip to the emergency room in the middle of the night because you weren’t sure whether you could wait until morning
Telemedicine services continue to transform and improve health care. It allows you to avoid many of the above scenarios. Because of new COVID-19 related measures that allow providers more flexibility when conducting virtual doctor visits, you can now receive:
- Improved access to health care
- Earlier contact with a medical professional
- A reduction in associated costs
Below, we will discuss these changes in detail and examine how telemedicine is improving uterine fibroid treatment at USA Fibroid Centers.
Read more: Advantages of Telemedicine for Patients
Improved Access to Healthcare
- Convenient: If you want to learn about specialty fibroid care, you’ll no longer need to spend time traveling to and from one of our locations, or sitting in the waiting room until your scheduled appointment time. If you are homebound, or lack reliable transportation, telemedicine visits are particularly beneficial. Also, many women with fibroids are in their childbearing years, so if you have children, you may appreciate that there is probably no need to arrange childcare for a virtual appointment. Even if you need an extra hand with your kids during a video call, it will be for only a short time.
- Effective: When it comes to an initial consultation or post-treatment follow-up care with one of our top-rated fibroid experts, we believe that a virtual doctor visit is just as effective as an office visit. While connected via video-conferencing, one of our specialists can perform a visual exam, discuss symptoms, make a diagnosis, prescribe medications when indicated, and educate you on available fibroid treatments, including Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) –– a minimally invasive, nonsurgical approach.
- Safe: At this point in time, the only sure way to avoid potential COVID-19 exposure is to follow recommended social distancing measures. That means staying home whenever possible, maintaining a six-foot space between you and others, and wearing a face covering when out in public. Our telemedicine option allows you to address the effects of fibroids while remaining safely at home.
- More Flexible: Telemedicine offers a range of new opportunities. If you live in rural or remote areas, you can now consult with providers who are far away. If you are in need of specialty services like fibroid care, or desire a second opinion, you can obtain important medical advice that may previously have involved significant travel time and/or expense. If you are struggling to take time off work to see your doctor, virtual visits can offer expanded appointment hours.
Perhaps the most important advantage of telemedicine in healthcare is that when granted more convenient and affordable access to doctors, you are more likely to schedule preventative care and, in the case of illness or injury, seek out medical attention earlier on. This can allow for a greater variety of fibroid treatment options and help avoid more complicated situations.
If you are experiencing fibroid symptoms, we want you to know that these can be signs of other health conditions besides uterine fibroids. Some of these may even be life-threatening. Be sure to consult your doctor for a proper medical diagnosis if you have any of the following:
- Heavy and prolonged menstruation between or during your periods
- Anemia, which can lead to fatigue
- Pain during intercourse
- Frequent urination
- Constipation and/or bloating
- Pain in your pelvis or lower back
- Increased menstrual cramping
- Stomach swelling
Although you may be concerned about seeking treatment for fibroids at this time, we encourage you not to delay. Along with causing painful and uncomfortable symptoms, fibroids have the potential to cause harm to surrounding organs and, at times, impact fertility. A virtual doctor visit can help you determine whether waiting for your procedure is a reasonable option.
Lower Healthcare Costs
With the costs of health care skyrocketing in recent years, you may be concerned about the expense of a virtual doctor visit. Fortunately, telemedicine in healthcare is considered affordable. This method involves less overhead for providers due to reduced requirements for office space, staffing, equipment, and more. These cost savings are indirectly passed on to you.
Additionally, we want you to know that most major insurance plans, including Medicare, cover virtual consultations at USA Fibroid Centers. However, if you’d like to confirm coverage before your scheduled appointment, please just give us a call at 855.615.2555.
How Telemedicine is Transforming Fibroid Care at USA Fibroid Centers
If you are experiencing fibroid symptoms, you can now consult with one of our top-rated specialists on a virtual appointment. During your call, your doctor can:
- Discuss your symptoms
- Make an accurate diagnosis
- Recommend the best treatment option for you
After the initial consultation, we want you to be aware that if you decide to pursue Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) treatment with USA Fibroid Centers, you will need to come into one of our offices for the actual procedure. Fortunately, it only takes about 30 to 45 minutes and you can go home on the same day. You can rest assured that our medical staff is following strict precautionary measures to help keep everyone involved healthy and safe from infectious disease.
Read more: USA Fibroid Centers Respond to COVID-19
To get started on your journey to feeling better, schedule a virtual consultation with USA Fibroid Centers. Soon, you can discover how telemedicine and healthcare during COVID-19 can result in a healthier you.