Weight Loss and Uterine Fibroids
In the United States, 26 million women between 15 and 50 have uterine fibroids. Uterine fibroids are common, non-cancerous growths that develop in or on the uterus.
Fibroids can cause many painful and inconvenient symptoms, including heavy periods, severe cramps, and low energy due to anemia. Although not usually dangerous, they can impact fertility and damage surrounding organs.
There are many risk factors for uterine fibroids. Some of these include:
- Age: If you are of childbearing age, you are more likely to develop fibroids. After menopause, fibroids often shrink.
- Race: Women of African-American descent are three times more likely to have uterine fibroids, and they may also suffer from more severe symptoms.
- Genetics: Fibroids tend to run in families. You are more likely to develop fibroids if you have a close relative with fibroids.
- Lifestyle: Lifestyle choices influence fibroid growth. Eating a healthy diet, being active, and maintaining a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI) may decrease your risks.
- Underlying health conditions: Certain health issues, such as high blood pressure and diabetes, can impact uterine fibroid growth. We suggest consulting your doctor to control these risk factors.
How Much Do Fibroids Weigh?
You should know a few things if you want to lose weight when you have fibroids. The relationship between fibroids and weight loss is straightforward: the larger your fibroids grow, the heavier they get. This directly influences abdominal weight growth and can make a woman’s stomach look wider and more full. The answer of how much fibroids weigh can only be answered when looking at the size of fibroids.
Our fibroid specialists have been working together to understand the full impact of fibroids on women’s health. Learn more about us at USA Fibroid Centers. The interventional radiologists at USA Fibroid Centers are experts in fibroid treatment and have treated thousands of patients to successfully navigate to leading a better, healthier life free from the painful symptoms of fibroids.
We have over 40 outpatient clinics nationwide where you can receive an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan on your first visit.
If I Lose Weight, Will My Fibroids Shrink?
Is losing weight with fibroids easy? It is widely understood that hormones, such as estrogen and progesterone, influence fibroids. Fibroids tend to grow during times of increased hormones in the body, like during pregnancy. If your fibroids are causing you to gain weight, it’s unlikely you can lose the weight from your fibroids without treatment, as it goes with fibroids and weight loss.
Do Fibroids Shrink With Fibroids?
We also know that fat cells secrete hormones. Will losing weight shrink fibroids? Maintaining a healthy BMI can keep your hormones in check, which may help prevent fibroids or slow growth.
Can You Lose Weight If You Have Fibroids?
Can fibroids cause weight loss? Unfortunately, maintaining a healthy weight with fibroids can be challenging. Along with making losing weight with fibroids difficult, uterine fibroids can sometimes cause unintended or sudden weight gain.
Weight issues with fibroids can occur because of an enlarged uterus, constipation, and/or menstrual bloating. You may also reach for unhealthy comfort foods or avoid exercising during heavy periods.
You may be surprised to learn that large fibroids can weigh up to 20 pounds, roughly the size of a watermelon. It’s unlikely that fibroids would create significant weight loss.
Some women with fibroids appear to be in their second trimester of pregnancy, which can devastate their body image and self-esteem, as well as stress about their fibroids and weight loss
How To Lose Weight With Fibroids
To help manage your weight with fibroids or with losing weight with fibroids, we recommend that you:
- Eat a healthy, well-rounded diet: Your fibroids diet should include a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. It is best to avoid or limit sodium, added sugars, unhealthy fats, alcohol, and caffeine.
- Exercise regularly: We suggest aiming for at least 30 minutes daily, five days a week. Choose enjoyable activities and consider finding a workout partner or trainer when safe to do so in your region. One helpful tip is to track your steps with a fitness device; see if you can average 10,000 steps daily.
- Find support: We know that losing weight isn’t always easy. Ask your friends and family for help. Consider joining a weight loss program for additional support, and your doctor may have specific recommendations.
Many of the patients we’ve worked with and the women have shared their fibroids and weight loss stories, even when making these lifestyle modifications. If you are struggling with losing weight due to fibroids, we want you to know that there’s help available.
How Uterine Fibroid Treatment Can Help Weight Loss
Can Uterine Fibroids Cause Weight Loss?
Uterine fibroids can cause weight loss, forcing bowel movements and making you feel full. However, one of the symptoms of a fibroid is to look and feel bloated – rather than it is to lose weight.1
You may wish to consider treatment if your fibroids contribute to an elevated BMI. A fibroid specialist can work with you to determine if fibroids are the underlying cause of your weight gain and make personalized treatment recommendations.
If you are avoiding treatment because you fear surgery, we want you to know that you have non-surgical options, especially if you want help with fibroids and weight loss.
USA Fibroid Centers offers a minimally invasive outpatient treatment called Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE). UFE aims to shrink fibroids, alleviate symptoms, and improve your quality of life.
Compared to fibroid surgery, the benefits of UFE include:
- Minimally invasive treatment
- Outpatient procedure
- No hospital stay
- General anesthesia is not required
- Less risk of infection, excessive bleeding, and blood clots
- A short recovery period of one to two weeks
- The uterus remains fully intact, preserving a woman’s fertility
After UFE treatment, you should experience:
- Lighter periods
- Less severe cramps, if any
- More energy
- Normal urination and bowel function
- Less pain with sex, if any
- The potential for weight loss
REQUEST A UFE CONSULTATION WITH USA FIBROID CENTERS
If you are experiencing symptoms of fibroids, including unintended or sudden weight gain, we invite you to speak with one of our leading fibroid specialists.
At USA Fibroid Centers, our compassionate doctors are available to help determine the best treatment for your situation. We look forward to helping you take back control of your health.