Weight Loss After UFE: Can Uterine Fibroid Embolization Help With Weight Loss?
If you have experienced weight gain due to uterine fibroids, you may be wondering if fibroid treatment can help you lose those unwanted pounds. Although there are never any guarantees, it is possible that weight loss can occur after Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE). UFE is a minimally invasive, outpatient fibroid treatment that aims to shrink uterine fibroids and alleviate painful, uncomfortable, and inconvenient symptoms.
Below, we cover the basics of uterine fibroid removal, weight loss, and other ways fibroid treatment can improve your life.
NOTICING A STOMACH BULGE? IT COULD BE FIBROIDS
Do You Lose Weight After Uterine Fibroid Embolization?
To better understand why you may experience weight loss after UFE, let’s discuss some reasons why fibroid-related weight gain sometimes occurs in the first place.
Weight Gain Due to Fibroids
- Fibroid growth: One potential reason for weight gain is the size of the fibroid itself. Some fibroids can grow as large as 20 pounds or more, and some women suffer from multiple fibroids. Along with affecting the number on your scale, your fibroids may lead to an enlarged uterus. Some women with fibroids appear to be in their second trimester of pregnancy, which can result in poor body image and self-esteem.
- Abdominal bloating: Another potential cause of fibroid weight gain is abdominal bloating. If you have ever noticed that you gain weight just before or during your period, you’ll understand what we mean. In fact, it is common for women to gain 3 to 5 pounds at this time of the month, which tends to resolve after a few days of bleeding. That said, abnormal periods caused by fibroids can complicate this weight gain or loss cycle.
- Constipation: Are your fibroids causing you to feel, well, a little backed up? Constipation, another common fibroid symptom, can also impact the number on your scale. To help avoid this uncomfortable issue, be sure to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, drink enough water, and exercise regularly. You can also talk to your doctor about using medications to help.
- Poor diet and/or inactivity: This potential cause of weight gain is probably not surprising to anyone who has experienced heavy periods and severe cramps. After all, it is easy to turn to comfort food or choose not to exercise when you are not feeling well. Although understandable, over time, these unhealthy lifestyle choices can lead to weight gain and exacerbate your symptoms.
WHY DO FIBROIDS CAUSE BOWEL AND BLADDER ISSUES?
Weight Loss After UFE
If you decide to have Uterine Fibroid Embolization, it is possible that you may lose some weight as your fibroid shrinks over time. Keep in mind that this is more likely to occur if you have large fibroids. We also want you to understand that UFE is not recommended as a weight loss plan.
Beyond shrinking the size (and weight) of your fibroids, UFE can help improve or resolve other issues that may be affecting your weight, such as abdominal bloating and constipation.
Finally, we believe that you are more likely to reach for healthier foods and head to the gym when you are not experiencing severe fibroid symptoms like heavy bleeding, painful cramps, or low energy levels. Lifestyle influences play an important role when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight.
How Can Fibroid Removal Trigger Weight Loss?
Similar to Uterine Fibroid Embolization, fibroid removal surgeries like a hysterectomy or myomectomy can also trigger weight loss. Weight loss after fibroid removal is due to many of the same reasons that we discussed above.
However, we want you to understand that Uterine Fibroid Embolization offers additional health benefits compared to fibroid removal surgeries. Because UFE is a non-surgical solution, this state-of-the-art treatment involves less risk, less pain, no hospital stay, and a shorter recovery period. During UFE, you will not need general anesthesia or post-op stitches. Afterward, your uterus will remain fully intact, preserving your ability to have children
If you are concerned about future fertility, we suggest visiting a fibroid specialist to learn about your full range of available treatment options.
Weight Loss: Just One of the Benefits of UFE
Beyond the potential for weight loss, Uterine Fibroid Embolization offers a range of additional benefits. After UFE, many women experience:
- Lighter periods
- Less pelvic pain, if any
- Normal bladder and bowel function
- Less abdominal bloating, if any
- Little or no pain during sex
- More energy
- Better quality of life
To learn more about weight loss after fibroid embolization and other ways that fibroid treatment can improve your life, we encourage you to request a consultation today.
Schedule a UFE Consultation With USA Fibroid Centers Today
At USA Fibroid Centers, we care about your health and quality of life. If you are missing work, canceling social engagements, avoiding intimacy, or suffering from low self-esteem due to uterine fibroids, we recommend exploring your treatment options.
Our experts specialize in performing Uterine Fibroid Embolization, a minimally invasive, outpatient treatment for fibroids. Treatment takes only 30 to 45 minutes, and afterward, you can go home the same day. Most women fully recover from UFE within one to two weeks.
We offer dozens of treatment center locations nationwide. For your convenience, you can also explore our telemedicine options. No matter where you choose to visit us, we look forward to helping you take back control of your life. To get in touch with us at (855) 615 2555, call or schedule a consultation online.