When you first find out that you have fibroids, it can seem like there’s no way out of the painful symptoms without uterine fibroid removal surgery. However, there’s an effective fibroid treatment option without surgery that can help you get back to your normal life without a long recovery time. Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) is a safe and quick procedure that can shrink your fibroids, eliminate your symptoms, and help you take back control of your life.
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that form in the uterus or on the uterine walls. They are common during the reproductive years, with up to 80 percent of women affected by age 50. Also known as myomas or leiomyomas, fibroids range in size, location, number, and type. They can cause painful, uncomfortable, or inconvenient symptoms for some women, while others may not even know they have fibroids until they are discovered by a doctor or gynecologist.
Some of the common symptoms of fibroids include heavy menstrual bleeding, stomach cramps, back pain, and pelvic pain. Depending on the fibroids location, frequent urination and painful sex can also occur.
Fibroid Removal Options
Once you discover that you have fibroids, you have several options for uterine fibroid removal or treatment. Although you may think fibroid removal surgery is the only effective method, the reality is there are additional treatments available today. Whether you’ve suffered from fibroids for years or recently discovered them, you can find hope in knowing there are safe ways to relieve your pain and discomfort.
Your fibroid removal options include the following:
- Fibroid Removal Surgery: The two most common fibroid removal surgeries are a hysterectomy and a myomectomy. A hysterectomy removes your fibroids by removing your uterus and, sometimes, surrounding organs like the ovaries. A myomectomy removes your fibroids but keeps your uterus in place.
- Medication: Certain medications may aid in managing your uterine fibroids. Gonadotropin-releasing hormones (GnRH) can trigger the release of progesterone and estrogen which regulate your menstrual cycle and cause fibroids to grow. Medications that decrease the Gonadotropin-releasing hormones also decrease progesterone and estrogen, possibly shrinking your fibroids.
- Testosterone therapy: Another fibroid removal option is taking a synthetic medication similar to testosterone. Doing so prevents your menstrual cycle from starting and can help relieve fibroid symptoms.
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE): UFE is a minimally-invasive fibroid treatment that doesn’t require surgery. During UFE, a specialized interventional radiologist will insert a tiny catheter into your numbed upper thigh, then inject particles into the arteries that supply blood to the uterus.The particles will then block blood from getting to your fibroids, causing them to shrink.
Why Is UFE the Best Fibroid Removal Option?
The great news about Uterine Fibroid Embolization is that it is a relatively quick and easy procedure –– particularly when compared to hysterectomy.
Hysterectomy fibroid removal surgery involves:
- A hospital stay
- Surgical risks that include infection, excessive bleeding, blood clots, and an adverse reaction to general anesthesia
- A lengthy recovery time of between six to eight weeks, during which you may not be able to lift heavy objects or drive while on pain medications
- The loss of fertility
Alternatively, some of the many benefits of UFE include:
- It is an outpatient procedure, so you can go home the same day
- Takes only 30 to 45 minutes
- General anesthesia is not necessary
- A light sedative will be provided so that you remain calm and comfortable
- Does not require stitches
- No scarring
- Involves a short recovery period of one to two weeks
- Leaves the uterus intact
- Retains your fertility
Contact USA Fibroid Centers
If you’re living with fibroids, remember that you don’t have to live without hope. There are many options for uterine fibroid removal, and you can even experience fibroid removal without surgery. If you want to learn more about your options for fibroid removal or learn more about UFE and the benefits it provides, please contact us today.
We are now offering initial telemedicine consultations with our leading fibroid experts. To schedule a virtual doctor visit and discuss your options, get started by filling out our convenient online appointment request.
All of our USA Fibroid Centers locations are following strict precautionary measures to protect the health and safety of our employees and patients.