a fibroid doctor also known as an interventional radiologist diagnoses and treats uterine fibroids

What Is a Fibroid Doctor Called?

In the United States, an estimated 26 million women between the ages of 15 and 50 have uterine fibroids. These non-cancerous growths commonly develop in or on the uterus. Although not usually considered dangerous, fibroids can cause a range of painful and inconvenient symptoms like heavy periods and severe cramps. Sometimes, they can damage surrounding organs and impact fertility. 

If you suffer from the effects of fibroids, you may be wondering what type of doctor can help. A fibroid doctor is called a fibroid specialist. Fibroid specialists are  interventional radiologists who receive additional training in the treatment of uterine fibroids. Interventional radiology is a subspecialty of radiology, and it involves using real-time guidance from medical imaging like X-ray fluoroscopy, ultrasound, and MRI to perform minimally invasive procedures.

An interventional radiologist can target and treat a range of health conditions, including:

  • Uterine fibroids
  • Adenomyosis
  • Cancerous tumors
  • Blood clots
  • Peripheral artery disease
  • Varicose veins

When fibroid symptoms begin to affect your career, relationships, or self-esteem, treatment is usually recommended. 

The good news is that most women do not require fibroid surgery in order to alleviate painful  or inconvenient symptoms. To explore your full range of treatment options, we recommend consulting one of our leading fibroid specialists.

What Type of Doctor Performs Uterine Fibroid Embolization?

Uterine Fibroid Embolization doctors are interventional radiologists who specialize in performing this minimally invasive,  state-of-the-art fibroid treatment. Uterine Fibroid Embolization is a non-surgical , outpatient treatment that can shrink your fibroids, alleviate symptoms, and quickly improve your quality of life. 

We understand that making the decision to receive fibroid treatment can be daunting. At USA Fibroid Centers, our fibroid specialists  are available to walk you through every step of the way. Rest assured that our doctors who perform Uterine Fibroid Embolization are highly skilled and experienced, along with being genuinely compassionate.


What Certifications Do Fibroid Specialists Need?

Fibroid specialists are board-certified in interventional radiology by the American Board of Medical Specialties. This means that they have earned a medical degree, completed a residency training program, received additional specialty training, and passed a rigorous certification exam. 

In addition to all of our doctors being certified IRs, USA Fibroid Centers is accredited by the AAAHC, or the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare, Inc. so patients can feel confident in the quality and safety of our service.

Request a Consultation With USA Fibroid Centers 

If you suffer from uterine fibroid symptoms, you may wish to explore non-surgical treatment options at USA Fibroid Centers. Although some women believe that a hysterectomy, the complete surgical removal of the uterus, is their only available fibroid treatment, this isn’t the case. 

Our leading fibroid specialists aim to educate women on all available treatments, including both surgical and non-surgical methods. 

Some of the many benefits of UFE over surgery include less risk, no hospital stay, and a shorter recovery period. After treatment, most women are back to daily activities within one to two weeks. For your convenience, we perform Uterine Fibroid Embolization treatment in dozens of locations nationwide.To discover whether you are a candidate for UFE, you can easily request a consultation online.

We look forward to helping you take back control of your life.



If you liked this article, check out others on the same topic:

ask the doctor diagnosing uterine fibroids interventional radiology fibroid doctor

Ask the Doctor: Diagnosing Uterine Fibroids



interventional radiologist diagnosing uterine fibroids with ultrasound technology

Seeing Within: Fibroid Mapping With Minimally Invasive Technology